This page is designed to provide you with information about how we use the personal data and information that you provide to us during your use of the ao.com website or mobile app and any communication (for example telephone) made between us relating to such use.
AO Retail Limited is the data controller of the information you provide. AO Retail Limited (t/a ao.com) is a company registered in England and Wales with registered number 03914998. We are part of the AO World PLC group of companies and our registered office address is 5A Parklands, Lostock, Bolton, BL6 4SD.
Your Information and Why We Process It
The information we collect when you place an order with us includes: name, address and telephone numbers. On occasion, we may also require further documentation which will act as proof of identity for prevention of fraud purposes and for purchasing age restricted products. Through your product reviews or surveys you may provide us further personal data including family size, affluence, gender or we may collect such data from third party data aggregators. Further we may have images of you if you use Olapic, profiling data technical information about your internet connection and browser as well as the country and telephone code where your computer is located, the web pages viewed during your visit, the advertisements you clicked to, IP addresses and cookies.
We only collect, keep, use or share your information for genuine business purposes, when you’ve approved us to do so, or when we’re obliged to legally. There are a few reasons why we use your personal details:
- if you contact us with an enquiry either by telephone, email or live chat;
- to process any order that you place on our website or via telephone call and arrange for its delivery and installation;
- to maintain any registered accounts you have with us;
- to make our website and our app accessible to you with informative content tailored to your needs including serving you with any pop-up messages and voucher codes;
- if you have purchased a product from us we may contact you from time to time, by SMS, email or telephone regarding our latest promotional offers, products and services that we think you may be interested in;
- if you would like us to notify you when an out of stock item becomes available by email or SMS or call you to discuss alternatives;
- if you use our app we store your data locally on your device in various file formats including cookies;
- promoting and advertising (including personalisation) of our products and services both on our website and elsewhere on the internet;
- promoting and advertising our products and services to you via email, SMS and post;
- to train our employees to ensure that we are providing the best possible service;
- we record telephone calls for compliance and legal reasons;
- to get in touch regarding customer satisfaction surveys and market research;
- when you provide a review on our website;
- when you enter any of our competitions;
- matching and aggregating your personal data for analysis and to provide you with a more personalised experience;
- to analyse any problems with our website and improve its performance;
- to ensure that you receive any cashback offered (either directly or via an affiliate website such as TopCashback);
- when you engage with us on any social media platform;
- we also use personal details to contact you regarding our services and products and if we need to verify your identity;
- for research, analysis, testing, monitoring, risk management and administration purposes;
- for crime or fraud prevention purposes;
- to purchase certain age restricted items we will verify your age with an external third party. If such verification does not confirm that you are over 18 we will not complete you order;
- if you sign up to register your interest in the “AO Fans” feature we will maintain your information in order to contact you should we launch this service.
Basis For Processing
For ao.com to be allowed to process your personal data, we must have a legal basis for the processing. The data protection legislation sets out what these bases are. We have described below the different bases that we rely on and provided examples of the processing.
There are some contractual reasons why we have to process your personal data. When you buy a product on our website, it creates a contract between us. We need to process the personal data that you provide in order to fulfil our part of the contract. If you do not provide your details we won’t be able to complete your order.
Sometimes we are required to process the personal data that we hold about you for legal reasons – for example, if you buy a product which is age restricted or if there is a product recall.
We also rely on being able to process your personal data on the basis that it is in our legitimate interests. When we do this we will always consider your interests and balance any positive or negative impact relating to such processing and your legal rights relating to data protection. The legitimate interests of ao.com do not automatically override your interests.
If you do not want us to process any of the personal data we have listed as being processed for legitimate purposes, you have the right to object. For more information see the section below relating to your rights. Please note that if you object we may still continue to process your personal data in certain circumstances. Please also remember that if we can’t process your personal data for these purposes your customer experience may not be as enjoyable.
Our legitimate interests include:
- analysing and understanding your customer journey and behaviour to improve efficiencies and interaction
- sending you email or SMS marketing messages, if you have previously bought something from us
- calling you to discuss your delivery and any other services that we would like to offer you
- promoting and advertising our products and services both on our website and elsewhere on the internet
- analysing our website’s performance and solving any problems
- staff training
- personalisation of your shopping experience
In some cases, we will ask whether you would like us to process your personal data. For example, when an item is out of stock and you provide your telephone number for us to call to discuss available alternatives or notify you when the out of stock item becomes available. We also ask for your consent to processing if you enter into a competition.
If you provide us with consent, you may withdraw it at any time by contacting us.